Gourmet Group, Luncheon, Seafood, Soups
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup long grain rice uncooked
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 (15-oz) can crushed tomatoes in puree
5 cups water
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 lbs med raw shrimp, shells removed cut in half horizontally
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
2. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and parsley. Garnish with parsley or cilantro.