Chicken, Ethnic, Middle Eastern, Poultry
12 chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
4 1/2 tablespoons sumac, divided
2 lg lemons, juiced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 lg onions, quartered & sliced
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 loaves pita bread
• Spray 9x13 baking dish with Pam. Spread 1.5 Tbsp olive oil over bottom of dish.
• Combine 3/4 tsp salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg & 1 tbsp sumac in small bowl.
• Wash chicken with cold water and wipe with paper towel to dry thoroughly; then swish through oil in baking dish. On both sides, sprinkle chicken with lemon juice and rub with spice mixture.
• Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken from baking dish.
• Meanwhile, rub onions with remaining salt and sumac. Saute in 3 Tbsp olive oil until tender.
• Open pita bread into 2 rounds. Dip into pan juices and place with open sides up in baking dish used for chicken. Spread the bread with half the onion-sumac mixture. Place chicken on bread and cover with remaining onion-sumac mixture. Sprinkle with water or broth.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 more minutes.
• Garnish with sauteed pine nuts.
Notes: Serve with green salad, Mediterranean style.