Super Parkerhouse Rolls
- 2 pkg. dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water 105 deg.-115 deg.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- Butter or margarine melted
- Dissolve years in warm water, and set aside.
- Scald milk in a small saucepan; add sugar, salt, and shortening, stirring until shortening melts. Cool or lukewarm. Add 2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Add yeast mixture and egg; beat well. Stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 deg.) free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Roll out to 1/4 thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut into 3 inch circles, and brush with melted butter.
- Make a crease across each circle, and fold one half over. Gently press edges to seal. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85 deg.) free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 400 deg. for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: about 3 dozen rolls.
Southern Living Magazine
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!