Tater Tot Hamburger Casserole
simple and flexible comfort food
- 1 lbs lean ground beef thawed
- 16 oz tater tots frozen
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream (can substitute heavy cream)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can cut green beans drained (can use whole kernel corn instead)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef along with the onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce until the beef is no longer pink. Draine grease if necessary.
- In a large bowl mix together the beef mixture with the sour cream, soup, green beans, diced tomatoes and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Spread the beef and soup mixture into the prepared pan. Top with an even layer of tater tots and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, until tater tots are brown and the casserole is bubbling.
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese and bake for 5 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
Modified from “Best Ever Tater Tot Casserole.” This is a great recipe to use what you have in the pantry. Some versions of this recipe call for a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup instead of tomatoes, but we enjoy the tomatoes. We definitely could have used more cheese than we had in the pictured example. We love topping this with “Seminole Fire in the Swamp” seasoning.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!