9 March, 2021
Posted in : Main Course, Wes Fryer on by : Wes Fryer
- large skillet
- 9" x 13" pyrex baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 2 bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tbps vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (freshly shredded is always best)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (fire roasted garlic preferred)
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- sour cream (for topping)
- lettuce (shredded, for topping)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce (large)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion in vegetable oil in a skillet.
- Add chicken, green chiles, diced tomatoes, mix and heat to just boiling over medium heat.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans on each tortilla.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the 9×13 pyrex dish
- Fill each tortilla with chicken filling mixture.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese inside each filled tortilla.
- Fold / roll and arrange closely together in the 9×13 pyrex baking dish.
- When 9×13 is filled with stuffed tortillas, pour more enchilada sauce over all of the tortillas.
- Top with more cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil, bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Optionally top with shredded lettuce and sour cream.
This is a remix of “Chicken Enchiladas I” from AllRecipies, and “Chicken Enchilada Casserole” by 12tomatoes. If I have them, I also like to top these with chopped, fresh cherry tomatoes. Depending on spice preference, some may want to top with additional taco sauce. (Pace Medium is my favorite, but it’s not necessary.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!