Oven Baked Prime Rib
- Roasting Pan
- Internal Meat Thermometer
- Electric knife for slicing
- Aluminum foil
- Rub a light coat of "liquid concentrated beef flavor base" (or olive oil) on the prime rib to serve as a bonding agent for the seasoning rub
- Generously sprinkle combined spice rib all over prime rib.
- Wrap in saran plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The day you want to cook the prime rib, remove it from the refrigerator about 3 hours before you calculate you need to start cooking it. (This will allow it to warm to room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Remove meat from the ridge and unwrap, Insert thermometer into meat, put on roasting pan and cook for 20 minutes
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and cook until internal temperature reaches 115-120 degrees F (or other temperature, depending on preferred doneness.) FINAL (afterr resting) temperature of 120 will be rare, 130 medium rare, 140 medium.
- Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil. Allow to 'rest' for 30 minutes. Internal temperature should rise 10-15 degrees.
- Mix creamy horseradish using 50% sour cream, 50% prepared horseradish.
- Slice up the prime rib, cutting 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- Add a dash of "Italian Black Truffle Sea Salt" to each slice on each plate before serving.
- Serve and enjoy with creamy horseradish sauce!
Our family has been enjoying prime rib as a holiday meal most years since 2011. Details about different cooking techniques (all oven-baked) are available in this past posts: