This recipe was an invention for a rainy and cool day today, and it turned out delicious. I had some beef stew meat from ButcherBox in our freezer that we needed to eat, and this turned out to be a great way to do that! Be careful not to add the cabbage too soon, because if it cooks too long it will get too soft and disintegrate. 2 to 3 hours on low in the crock pot should be perfect. It’s not necessary to add additional salt or pepper but feel free to add them if you desire or let people add their own to taste. If you have better quality meat (chopped sirloin or leftover prime rib) this recipe will be even more savory. The soup itself is very rich and satisfying, and this is the type of soup which tastes even better after it has been in the refrigerator one or more days!
Beef Cabbage Soup
low carb comfort food soup for a cold, rainy day
- 1 large crock pot
- 1 gallon ziplock bag
- 1 large skillet
- 1 quart size glass measuring cup
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 cans garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 large yellow onions
- 64 oz beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cubes beef boullion
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1 pinch dried basil seasoning
- 2 tbsp Aleppo Pepper
- 3 green peppers
- 1 pinch dried parsley
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 1 pgk Mccormick's Grill Mates Chipotle Marinade
- 0.5 cup water
- 0.5 cup cooking oil
- Mix Mccormick's Grill Mates seasoning with 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cub water. Marinate cubed steak overnight in ziplock.
- Brown and cook marinated meat in skillet on high heat.
- Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce to crock pot. Mix well.
- Heat 2 cups of water in the glass measuring cup in the microwave with the 2 beef bullion cubes for 2 minutes. Stir and combine well, add to crock pot and mix.
- Chop and sauté onions in the skillet with leftover marinade sauce, add to crock pot.
- Chop green peppers and add to crock pot.
- Add minced garlic.
- Stir and combine everything well in the crock pot. Turn on low and cook all day until 4 pm.
- Chop cabbage into approximately 1 inch cubes and add to crock pot. Cook 3 more hours on low.
- Serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!