Refrigerator Date Pinwheels
- 1 package chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- Combine the chopped dates, sugar and water in a saucepan and cook
- over low heat until thick, about ten minutes.
- Cool and add 1 cup pecans. This is the filling mixture.
- Cream the shortening and brown sugar. Gradually add the well beaten eggs. Add the flour, salt and soda. Mix well. Chill thoroughly.
- Divide the dough into four parts and roll out separately onto a rectangle on a sheet of floured waxed paper. Spread some of the filling onto dough and roll up as for a jelly roll. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1/2 to 1/4 inch slices and bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.
- You do not have to bake them all the same day. Sometimes I freeze a roll or two. Be sure to thaw well before slicing!!
Mrs. Schultz– My friend Carol’s mother. She was also my homemaking teacher in Junior High. She started Carol and I. making cookies when I was in the first grade. Carol and I made a lot of messes in Mrs. Schultz’s kitchen!!!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!