15 January, 2021
Beef and Biscuits
Posted in : Main Course, Video, Wes Fryer on by : Wes Fryer Tags: beef, comfort, dutchoven, venison
Beef and Biscuits
a recipe modified for cooking inside with an enamel Lodge Dutch Oven
- Enamel covered Lodge Dutch Oven
- 1-2 pounds beef can use stew meat or steak, I've used flat iron beef steak or venison / backstrap
- Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable cooking oil
- 1 onion large
- 4-6 stalks celery
- 1.5 green peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Bisquick mix
- 1/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- dried rosemary seasoning
- ground black pepper
- Seminole Fire in the Swamp seasoning for optional additional seasoning at the table
- Cut beef into cubes, roll in Montreal Seasoning, dredge in flour
- Heat oil in enamel Dutch Oven on the stove
- Brown beef for 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped onion, 2 stalks of chopped celery, beef broth. Stir.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare drop biscuits by combining Bisquick, rosemary, black pepper, and grated cheese. Stir to thoroughly mix, then combine with milk to make a sticky dough that is not too dry or wet.
- Put Dutch Oven lid in oven for at least 10 minutes to pre-heat.
- Turn off stove heat, add remaining 1/2 of chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped green peppers, and chopped carrots. Push down into the meat and gravy mix but do not stir.
- Divide biscuit dough into fourths, drop each onto the ingredients / food in the dutch oven.
- Bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Remove from oven. Turn oven to Broil.
- Check if biscuits are completely cooked with a toothpick.
- With Dutch Oven lid removed, put under the broiler for 3 minutes or until top of biscuits are golden brown.
- Serve in bowls with optional Seminole Fire in the Swamp seasoning.
This recipe is a modification of “Beef Biscuits in the Dutch Oven” by The Backwoods Gourmet. You do NOT have to use steak or other high quality beef for this recipe, you can use almost any kind of beef. Venison can also be delicious. Seminole Fire in the Swamp seasoning makes this taste even more AMAZING! Highly recommended.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!