30 January, 2021
Posted in : Main Course, Recipe, Video, Wes Fryer on by : Wes Fryer Tags: steak
delicious skewer grilled Brazilian style steak with homemade chimichurri sauce
- Charcoal grill
- Metal meat skewers
- ThermoPro Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer
- 4 lbs Picanha Steak (a sirloin cut with a fat cap, from the rump cap muscle of the cow. Can be hard to find in US grocery stores, may need to visit a specialized meat shop or butcher. Links is for "The Meat House" in Edmond, Oklahoma, which usually has Picanha.
- Knorr Liquid Concentrated Base Beef for Restaurants (can substitute beef broth, used to moisten beef and act as a bonding agent before seasoning)
- kosher salt
- 1 shallot finely chopped (can substitute green onions)
- 1 Fresno chile or red jalapeño finely chopped (can substitute jalapeño, I like to also add 1 chopped Anaheim chile)
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced or finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped oregano
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- The day before you will grill: Combine shallot, chile, garlic, vinegar, and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, parsley, and oregano. Using a fork, whisk in oil.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours or overnight. (overnight preferred)
- The day you will grill: Trim fat cap from Picanha steak, thinning the thickest parts so only 1/4 to 1/8 inch of fat remains.
- Add beef schmear to moisten the beef and act as a bonding agent before seasoning
- Generously sprinkle kosher salt on all sides
- Cut Picanha WITH the steak's grain into strips approximately 2 inches thick
- Fold steak pieces in a horseshoe shape, with the fat cap on the outside, and spear with metal skewers. Add 2 to 3 pieces per skewer. Use a second metal skewer to add stability when turning on the grill.
- Allow beef skewers to warm to room temperature before grilling
- Insert internal meat thermometer / probes into thickest and smallest steak pieces
- Grill on indirect charcoal fire / heat until internal temperature is 135 degrees F (for medium-rare steak – if rarer steak is preferred, change from indirect cooking to sear at lower temperature.
- Sear each side of skewered steaks approximately 2 minutes at the end of the cook. Final meat temperature should be at least 135 degrees (medium-rare) or 145 degrees (medium)
- Remove from grill, remove metal skewers, cut pieces ACROSS the steak grain in 1/4 inch slices
- Serve chimichurri sauce to spoon over grilled meat as desired
- Savor and enjoy!
Inspired by Harry Soo’s video, “Picanha Culotte Sirloin Cap Steak.” Plain salt rub used, on the recommendation of this SteakSchool.com recipe. Chimichurri Sauce recipe modified from this version from bonappetit.com. Overall, inspired by my 4 lifetime visits to Fogo de Chao in Austin, Denver and Dallas and trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil in March 2016. Be sure to watch my how-to cooking video for this recipe, “Picanha Steak on the Weber Kettle.”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!