Green Beans and Potatoes
- 4 slices thick bacon 3-4 tablespoons grease reserved
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 pounds whole green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds baby potatoes halved (can use baking potatoes, red potatoes, or yellow dutch potatoes instead – or a combination!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Seminole Fire in the Swamp Seasoning
- Cook the bacon and drain on a paper towel, reserving the bacon grease. Add the bacon grease to a dutch oven or large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the green beans, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. If desired, add some "Fire in the Swamp" seasoning too.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle the green beans with 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. Arrange the potatoes over the green beans. Dot with butter and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. If desired, add some "Fire in the Swamp" seasoning too.
- Stir gently and transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the green beans and potatoes. Add "Fire in the Swamp" seasoning to taste!
Bacon is optional but certainly a tasty addition. Seminole Fire in the Swamp Seasoning is SUPER yummy and now a family favorite to add, it doesn’t have the spice or kick of Tony’s Creole seasoning. This is recipe is only SLIGHTLY modified from “Southern Green Beans with Potatoes and Bacon” by Barefoot in the Kitchen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!