6 February, 2021
Posted in : Appetizers, Main Course, Video, Wes Fryer on by : Wes Fryer Tags: smoker
a delicious jalapeño popper variation with Italian sausage
- Weber Kettle or other outdoor smoker
- Wood chips
- Instant meat temperature probe
- 10 jalapeño poppers medium to large size
- 2 lbs Jimmy Dean Italian sausage cut paddie size
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 5 slices thick bacon
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese Philadelphia brand is the best, softened
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cook bacon, chop into small pieces
- Chop red onion
- Halve and quarter jalapeños, removing seeds and pith (the white stuff)
- Soften cream cheese
- Combine cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, chili powder, garlic powder, and red onion with a spatula
- Fill each "half quarter" jalapeño with filling, then put two "half quarters" together.
- Flatten / mash a pattie sized portion of uncooked Italian sausage, roll and mold it around each combined "double quarter" jalapeño to make an egg shape
- Put formed armadillo eggs into a shallow pan
- Dust formed armadillo eggs with bread crumbs
- Smoke on indirect heat in an outdoor smoker until interior temperature of each armadillo egg reaches 170 degrees F.
- Remove from the smoker, allow to cool and serve!
This is a slight modification of the Man Cave Meals YouTube video, “Game Day: How to Make Armadillo Eggs.” This recipe is quite a bit more time intensive than our usual favorite, “Jalapeño Roasted Poppers.” These are special and tasty, however, and worth it if you have the prep and cook time. Be sure to check out the 19 minute instructional YouTube video I created for this recipe, with (of course) multiple guest appearances by our 1 year old golden retriever, Moose!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!